Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions For Financial Aid


1. What is the FAFSA Title IV School Code for South Plains College?


2. How do I reach a Financial Aid Advisor?

    Please call ext. 3800 or email

3. How do I begin the Financial Aid application process?

    Go to and

4. Why do I have to use my parents’ income on the FAFSA?

    All students are required to use parents’ income on the FAFSA form 
    unless they are 24 years of age, married, veteran, an orphan/ward

     of the court, a graduate student or have a dependent that they
    provide 51% of their financial support.  Students with special
    circumstances should contact the Office of Financial Aid. 

5. Why did I have to turn in tax returns and other paperwork; and my
    friends didn’t have to? 

    The Department of Education selects students at random for 

6. What if I haven’t filed my tax return?

    The FAFSA will allow you to estimate your income; but it is best if 
    you wait until you have filed.

7. Which FAFSA do I have to complete for summer?

     For summer ’09, you need the 08-09 FAFSA and for fall ’09,
     spring ’10, and summer ’10, you need the 09-10 FAFSA.


8. What are the priority deadlines** ? 

    March 1st for summer, June 10th for fall and October 15 for spring.

9. What are the absolute deadlines*** for completing the FAFSA

    June 30, 2009 for 08-09 and June 30, 20010 for 09-10. 

10. Are there part-time jobs available on campus? 

     Please complete the College Work-study Application and view our
     available positions online at

11. What do I do if I have a scholarship? 

      Send your certificate or letter to the SPC Foundation to the
        attention of Lola Hernandez as soon as possible so that your
      funds may be placed on the computer for use to pay tuition,
      fees, books and supplies.  If you have questions, call ext. 2219
      or email  

12. What do I do if I have an outside source paying for my college? 

      Students who have Texas Rehab, Federal Rehab, Texas National
      Guard and Texas Tomorrow Fund should send their documentation 
      to the Business Office or contact them at ext. 2400.

13. What do I do if I have an exemption? 

      Documentation for Foster Care, Blind, Deaf, Fireman, Dependents
      of Slain Police Officers and Hazlewood should submit
      their documentation to the Admissions and Records Office for
      approval. Returning students may contact Financial Aid directly to
      have their exemption applied to a future semester with the
      exception of Fireman and Hazlewood which have to resubmit forms
      every semester.  Teachers Aide, Early High School and
      Americorp are handled exclusively by Financial Aid.

14. Why am I on suspension when I paid for those semesters myself? 

     When you apply for Financial Aid all semesters must be considered
     for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)****.

15. Can I attend another college to have my Financial Aid suspension

     No, hours must be taken at SPC.

16. If I take a semester off, will that lift my Financial Aid suspension? 


17. What must be done in order to have my Financial Aid Suspension

     You would need to have an appeal approved, or pay for and
     successfully complete at least 6 credit hours during 1 semester at
     SPC with your own funds.

18. If I am suspended and I want to appeal, what is the weekly appeal

     Appeals that are received by 4pm on Thursday will be seen by the
Committee the following Monday or Tuesday. 

19. If I was a full-time student when I was placed on suspension, can 
     I retake just the one class that placed me on suspension to have it

     No, you would need to successfully complete 6 hours during 1
     semester to have your suspension lifted.

20. Why do I have a 2.00 GPA from Admissions but I have been placed
      on Financial Aid suspension? 

     The Financial Aid GPA includes all developmental work and the
     GPA from the Admissions and Records Office is only college level

21. What will happen to my Financial Aid if I drop one class? 

     If it is before the official census date*****, the grants will adjust
     downward and the student will not be penalized by the Satisfactory
     Academic Progress Policy (SAP).  If it is after the official census 
     date, the grant funds are frozen and the student will be penalized
     by the (SAP) Policy.


22. What happens to my loan if I drop below 6 hours? 

      Prior to the official census date you will be required to return 
      the loan funds to SPC for your first check and your second 
      check will be cancelled.  After the census date, only your second
      check will be cancelled.

23. What happens if I withdraw from all of my classes? 

      Prior to the completion of 60% of the semester, you will be 
      required to return a portion of your aid to the Business
      Office and possibly the Financial Aid Office and you will be placed 
      on Financial Aid probation or suspension (SAP).  After the 60% 
      point, only (SAP) will be affected.

24. What if I receive all “F” grades on all of my classes? 

      If the grades are earned, meaning you have attended or 
      participated in your classes up to or past the 60% point, you 
      will only be penalized by (SAP).  If your last day of attendance 
      is prior to the 60% point then you will also have to return funds.




        *Verification-is the process whereby the Financial Aid Advisor
          compares the data reported on the FAFSA Form to the 
          information that has been submitted to the Financial Aid 

      **Priority deadline—is the deadline by which all students should
          complete their files if they want to be considered for all types
          of aid including limited funding for some grants and on-campus
          jobs.  It is also the deadline to ensure that student funding
          will be available for the preregistration payday and open

    ***Absolute Deadline-is last day you can submit a FAFSA form to
         the Department of Education for the current school year. It is
         the June 30th deadline following the students’ attendance for
         the previous fall and/or spring terms. 

  ****Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)-is the federal requirement
         that all Financial Aid Offices track your academic progress 
         towards earning your certificate, associate degree or transfer 
         hours.  It contains the following three components:  cumulative 
         GPA, length of attendance and hours attempted versus hours 

*****Official Census Date-is the 12th class day for the fall and spring
         terms.  For 5 week summer terms, it is the 4th class day.  For 
         any other length sessions, please inquire in the Financial Aid 


instagram  flickr button  

Press | Facebook | iTuneU | Listen Live to Texan Radio | MySPC | Blackboard | Contact Us | Student Consumer Information