Other Federal Programs

National and Community Service (AmeriCorps)

The Corporation for National Service offers educational opportunities through AmeriCorps programs.  AmeriCorps members meet community needs from housing renovation to child immunization.  AmeriCorps members (students) receive a modest living allowance and health coverage while participating in the program.  After completing one year of full-time service (from 10 to 12 months), members receive an educational voucher worth $4,725.  The voucher can be used to cover the future tuition, fees, books, supplies, room and board or to pay back student loans.  Information about AmeriCorps is available at www.americorps.org.


Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA Grants)

The Department of the Interior administers a higher education grant program for members of a tribe who are enrolled and pursuing a degree at an accredited postsecondary institution.  To be eligible for a Bureau of Indian Affairs Grant, students must be a member of, or at least one-quarter degree Indian blood descendent of a member of an American Indian tribe who are eligible for the special services provided through the Bureau of Indian Affairs.  Students must show financial need by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).   BIA Grant applications are available from the education office of the tribe in which you are affiliated or possess membership.  A Tribal Directory is located on the Department of the Interior's web-site at www.doi.gov/bureau-indian-affairs.html.  After students have completed the FAFSA, they should complete and  submit their BIA Grant application to the Office of Financial Aid for processing. 



 Last Published 8/8/10