Steps to Apply for Financial Aid

Step 1.  New students must apply for admissions to SPC

New students must be accepted into SPC before we can award your financial aid.  Be sure to apply for admission to SPC as soon as possible.



Step 2.  Get A PIN Now!!! (if you do not already have one)

Your PIN is your electronic signature for FAFSA on the web.  If you are a dependent student, your parent(s) should request their PIN number(s) now also so they can electronically sign your FAFSA.  Apply for PIN numbers at:



Step 3.  Fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

Submit the online FAFSA or obtain a FAFSA application from any of SPC’s Financial Aid Offices.  You may file online at  Levelland Campus hours are from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.  Reese Center’s hours are from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. Friday.  Plainview Campus hours are from 8 a.m. until 8:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. Friday.

  • Submit the FAFSA as soon as possible starting January 1
  • List SPC’s school code – 003611
  • If interested in student loans and/or the work study program, you will need to click on the appropriate answer in Question 31


Step 4. Submit additional documents if necessary

You must provide the Financial Aid Office with additional documents if you are a:

  • Non-citizen – Provide proof of eligibility (I-94, I-551, or I-151 forms)
  • Military veteran applying for general financial aid – Submit your eligibility letter regarding veterans education benefits to the VA Benefits Coordinator
  • Student under 24 claiming independent status – Submit a Dependency Override Form documenting mitigating circumstances.  Must prove neglect, abuse, or abandonment.
  • See our Forms page for an additional forms that are requested


 Step 5.  Verify your information, if requested

If your application is selected for verification, you may need to submit:

  • A signed copy of your (and if married, your spouse’s)income tax return and
  • If dependent, a signed copy of your parents’ income tax return and
  • Verification Worksheet for a Dependent or Independent Student (available on the web or from the Financial Aid Office) and
  • Documentation that verifies benefits or untaxed income


 Step 6. Await notification

The Financial Aid Office will send a letter notifying you when your Financial Aid Application has been processed.  If you are eligible for aid, you will receive an Award Letter at that time.  If you were awarded student loans, you will have to go to Loans by Web to activate your loan.


Your notification will arrive at the address listed in your financial aid file. Make sure the address is accurate.  You can also see your Financial Aid Award Status by going to MySPC, click on 'Student Campus Connect' then click on 'Student Information'.




 Last Published 8/8/10