Hazlewood Act

To qualify for educational assistance under the state-funded Hazlewood Act, you must meet the following qualifications:

  • Citizen of Texas at time of entry into active duty
  • Active military duty of at least 181 consecutive days
  • Less than 150 hours attempted under the Hazlewood Act beginning with the Fall Semester 1995
  • Cannot be in default on a student loan
  • Honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions
  • Limited federal education benefits (loans or work study do not qualify as federal education benefits)
  • Must be ineligible for G.I. Bill benefits
  • Must be a resident according to state requirements at time of enrollment

The Hazlewood Act covers the following:

  • All tuition and fees other than property deposit fees and student service fees
  • Parallel study courses
  • Continuing Education courses – approved on a course by course basis – Not all Continuing Education courses can be waived.

 Children and Spouses:

 Of veterans who, at the time of entry into the US Armed Forces:

  • Are Texas Residents
  • Designated Texas as Home of Record, or
  • Entered the service in Texas

Transferability of Benefits (Legacy Program)

Eligible veterans may assign unused hours of examption eligibility to a child uner certain condtions.  To be eligible, the child must:

  • Be a Texas resident
  • Be the biological child, stepchild, adopted child, or claimed as a dependent in the current or previous tax year
  • Be 25 years or younger on the first day of the semester or term for which the exemption is claimed (unless granted an extension due to a qualifying illness or debilitating condition) and
  • Make satisfactory academic progress in a degree, certificate, or continuing education program as determined by SPC


 The 79th Legislature has approved Senate Bill 101, mandating a statewide Hazlewood database to track the 150 hours limit.  All Hazlewood recipients must complete a new application form each semester.  The student may go online to www.collegefortexans.com, to print the application. Once student has completed the application, the student must turn it in to the Financial Aid Office and a copy of the student's schedule at least 1 week prior to the begining of the semester. Student must re-apply each semester the student wants to use their Hazlewood exemption. Failure to comply will result in tuition charges for which you will be responsible.


instagram  flickr button  

Press | Facebook | iTuneU | Listen Live to Texan Radio | MySPC | Blackboard | Contact Us | Student Consumer Information