Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions For Financial Aid

1. What is the FAFSA school code for SPC?  003611
2. How do I reach a Financial Aid Advisor?  Please call ext. 3800 or
3. How do I begin the Financial Aid application process?  Go to
4. Why do I have to use my parents’ income on the FAFSA? All students are required to
     use parents’ income on the FAFSA form unless they are 24 years of age, married, a
     veteran, an orphan/ward of the court, a graduate student or have a dependent that
     they support 51%. Students with special circumstances should contact the Office of
     Financial Aid. 
5. Why did I have to turn in tax returns and other paperwork; and my friends didn’t have
     to?  The Department of Education selects students at random for verification*.
6. What if I haven’t filed my tax return?  The FAFSA will allow you to estimate your
     income; but it is best if you wait until you have filed.
7. Which FAFSA do I have to complete for summer? For summer ’07, you need the 06-
    07 FAFSA and for fall’07, spring’08 and summer ’08, you need the 07-08 FAFSA.
8. What are the priority deadlines** ?  March 1st for summer, June 10th for fall and
    October 15 for spring.
9. What are the absolute deadlines*** for completing the FAFSA forms?  June 30, 2007
     for 06-07 and June 30, 2008 for 07-08. 
10. Are there part-time jobs available on campus?  Please complete the College Work-
      study Application and view our available positions online at
11. What do I do if I have a scholarship?  Send your certificate or letter to the SPC
       Foundation to the attention of Norma Contreras as soon as possible so that your
       funds may be placed on the computer for use to pay tuition, fees, books and
       supplies.  If you have questions, call ext. 2219 or email
12. What do I do if I have an outside source paying for my college?  Students who have
       Texas Rehab, Federal Rehab, Texas National Guard and Texas Tomorrow Fund
       should send their documentation to the Business Office or contact them at ext.
13. What do I do if I have an exemption?  Documentation for Foster Care, Blind, Deaf,
       Fireman, Dependents of Slain Police Officers and Hazlewood should submit their
      documentation to the Admissions and Records Office for approval. Returning
      students may contact Financial Aid directly to have their exemption applied to a
      future semester with the exception of Fireman and Hazlewood which have to
      resubmit forms every semester.  Teachers Aide, Early High School and Americorp 
      are handled exclusively by Financial Aid.
14. Why am I on suspension when I paid for those semesters myself?  When you apply
      for Financial Aid all semesters must be considered for Satisfactory Academic
      Progress (SAP)****.
15. Can I attend another college to have my Financial Aid suspension lifted?  No, hours
       must be taken at SPC.
16. If I take a semester off, will that lift my Financial Aid suspension?  No.
17. What must be done in order to have my Financial Aid Suspension lifted?  You would
      need to have an appeal approved, or pay for and successfully complete at least 6
      credit hours at SPC with your own funds.
18. If I am suspended and I want to appeal, what is the weekly appeal deadline? Appeals
      that are received by 4pm on Thursday will be seen by the Appeals Committed the
      following Monday or Tuesday. 
19. If I was a full-time student when I was placed on suspension, can I retake just the one
      class that placed me on suspension to have it lifted?  No, you would need to
      successfully complete 6 hours to have your suspension lifted; but it can be done in
      multiple semesters.
20. Why do I have a 2.00 GPA from Admissions but I have been placed on Financial Aid
      suspension?  The Financial Aid GPA includes all developmental work and the GPA
      from the Admissions and Records Office is only college level work.
21. What will happen to my Financial Aid if I drop one class?  If it is before the official
      census date*****, the grants will adjust downward and the student will not be
      penalized by the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (SAP).  If it is after the
      official census date, the grant funds are frozen and the student will be penalized 
      by the (SAP) Policy.
22. What happens to my loan if I drop below 6 hours?  Prior to the official census date
      you will be required to return the loan funds to SPC for your first check and your
      second check will be cancelled.  After the census date, only your second check will
      be cancelled.
23. What happens if I withdraw from all of my classes?  Prior to the completion of 60% of
      the semester, you will be required to return a portion of your aid to the Business
      Office and possibly the Financial Aid Office and you will be placed on Financial Aid
      probation or suspension (SAP).  After the 60% point, only (SAP) will be affected. 
24. What if I receive all “F” grades on all of my classes?  If the grades are earned,
      meaning you have attended or participated in your classes up to or past the 60%
      point, you will only be penalized by (SAP).  If you last day of attendance is prior to the
      60% point then you will also have to return funds.



  *Verification-is the process whereby the Financial 
       Aid Advisor compares the data reported on the FAFSA 
       Form to the information that has been submitted to
       the Financial Aid Office.

**Priority deadline—is the deadline by which all students should complete their files if they want to be considered for all types of aid including limited funding for some grants and on-campus jobs. It is also the deadline to ensure that student funding will be available for the preregistration payday and open registration.

***Absolute Deadline-is last day you can submit a
FAFSA form to the Department of Education for the
current school year. It is the June 30th deadline
following the students’ attendance for the previous
fall and/or spring terms.

****Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)-is the federal requirement that all Financial Aid Offices track your academic progress towards earning your certificate, associate degree or transfer hours.
It contains the following three components: cumulative GPA, length of attendance and hours attempted versus hours earned.

*****Official Census Date-is the 12th class day for the fall and spring terms. For 5 week summer terms, it is the 4th class day. For any other length sessions, please inquire in the Financial Aid Office.


 Last Published 8/8/10