Our Advising Mission Statement
The advising system at South Plains College is a continuous process designed to foster the development of the student’s successful educational plan compatible with the unique life goals of the individual student. By practicing a holistic, proactive approach, South Plains College advising creates a student-centered environment from which students emerge as independent life long learners.
At South Plains College, our advising system is comprised of Counseling Centers on our Levelland, Reese and Plainview campuses, as well as faculty members at all locations available to support your academic goals. Your advisor will be assigned to you upon your acceptance and is based on the campus you will be attending, as well as your major.
As a new student, you will have the opportunity to meet your advisor during New Student Experience, a program designed to prepare you for your college education.
Goals of the advising system at South Plains College are to:
- Guide in the selection of courses and preparation of an individualized success plan, including degree worksheets and TSI information that correlates with life goals.
- Increase awareness of institutional resources and make referrals to appropriate support services.
- Clarify the student’s responsibility in his/her academic success, including academic regulations, institutional procedures, and policies.
- Encourage educational and career exploration and goal setting.
- Create an environment that is caring, supportive and accessible.
- Assist students in exploration, clarification, communication and implementation of realistic choices.
- Offer ongoing training and professional development activities for all involved in advising.
- Provide regular, formal evaluation of advising practices and make adjustments based on evaluation recommendations.