Veteran's Affairs

South Plains College is approved as a college where veterans may obtain an education through the Veterans Administration program. Eligible veterans are paid an educational allowance by the Veterans Administration while they are attending college. For more information, contact the Student Affairs Office on the Levelland Campus, the Financial Aid Office/Veterans Affairs Office at the SPC Reese Center, or the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-800-827-1000.

Eligible persons (indicated below) are encouraged to apply for benefits six to eight weeks prior to beginning their first semester.


A. A veteran with remaining entitlement may receive a monthly check varying in amount with his/her class load. Tuition, fees and books must be paid when the student registers.
B. An eligible veteran may take less than a half-time load and receive reimbursement on tuition and most of the fees paid upon entering.
C. A Texas veteran who is eligible to attend this college may be excused from the payment of tuition and some fees under the Hazlewood Act. Proof of eligibility rests with the veteran.

Child of Veteran

If a member of the armed forces was killed in action, died as a result of a service-incurred injury, or has a permanent or total disability as the result of a service-connected incident, educational benefits are extended to his or her children under some conditions.

Spouse of Veteran

Under some conditions the widow or widower of a veteran or the spouse of a veteran with a permanent or total disability, as the result of a service-connected incident, is eligible to receive benefits.

Veterans Tuition and Fee Exemptions Under the Hazlewood Act

Men and women who were legal residents of Texas at the time of entry into the Armed Forces, who have been legal residents of Texas for a period of not less than 12 months immediately preceding their registration at South Plains College, and who hold an honorable discharge from the Armed Forces of the United States after service during the Spanish American War, World War I, World War II or the Korean War, are by state law exempt from the payment of tuition and some fees. This exemption also applies to the children of members of the United States Armed Forces who were killed in action or died while in service during World War II or the Korean War. Exemptions are also granted to all persons who were honorably discharged from the United States Armed Services after serving on active military duty, excluding training, for more than 180 days during the Cold War which began on the date of termination of the national emergency referred to as the Korean War. Exemptions are not granted to persons who were discharged from the services because of being over the age of 38 or because of personal request on the part of such person to be discharged from such service.

Qualifications for Using Hazlewood Benefits

Veterans must meet the following requirements in order to use benefits available from the Hazlewood Act.

1. Be a resident of Texas when entered service.
2. Served at least 180 days active military duty. (excluding training)
3. Received less than 150 credit hours using Hazlewood benefits at all institutions attended since fall 1995.
4. Must not have a default status on a federal loan guaranteed in the state of Texas.
5. Have received an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions.
6. Be a resident of Texas at the time of enrollment in college.
7. Have limited Title IV (Pell and SEOG) benefits, at most.

If a student receives a Federal Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), or Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG), the Hazlewood exemption will be decreased proportionately. For instance, if a veteran qualifies for a $750 Hazlewood exemption and receives a $200 Pell Grant, the student's exemption will be decreased to $550. If a veteran qualifies for a $750 Hazlewood exemption and receives a $750 Pell Grant, the student's exemption would be decreased to zero.

In order to determine eligibility, the following documents must be submitted and approved by the Dean of Admissions and Records at South Plains College at least one week before the registration dates: 1.) complete application for admission to South Plains College; 2.) a photostatic copy of the veteran's separation papers (DD-214); 3.) a statement from the Veterans Administration certifying that the veteran is not eligible to receive benefits under any program administered by the Veterans Administration; 4.) a completed formal application for Hazlewood Act benefits. No exemptions of tuition and some fees are possible unless proper documentation of eligibility has been filed with and approved by the Dean of Admissions and Records prior to registration.

Standards of Progress for Veterans

The official student transcript maintained in the Office of Admissions and Records provides a record of completed credits taken by all students each semester, as well as courses from which they have withdrawn. This office also maintains official drop dates and attendance records.

South Plains College requires students to maintain a minimum 2.00 grade point average in order to remain in good academic standing. Students who fail to meet this requirement will be placed on academic probation for the following long semester. The student will remain on probation in subsequent semesters until he or she acquires a 2.00 or higher grade point average. A student will be placed on academic suspension if he or she fails to make a 2.00 or higher grade point average while on academic probation.

Veterans who are placed on academic probation or academic suspension will be reported to the Veterans Administration for "unsatisfactory progress."

If you need more information on Veterans Services and Benefits, please contact Judy Walker.


 Last Published 8/8/10