Programs of Study
Reese Campus VN Program Entrance Requirements
Entrance Requirements for the August 2013 Vocational Nursing Program
South Plains College, Reese Campus
Application Period: May 20- July 8, 2013
Dear Vocational Nursing Program Candidate:
Thank you for your interest in the Vocational Nursing Program of South Plains College at the Reese Center. In order to be considered for admission to the Vocational Nursing Program, you must do the following:
1. Apply for admission to South Plains College. You may apply online at www.southplainscollege.edu. Scroll down to the bottom of the main page and click on the orange bar that says “Apply Now” and follow the prompts from there. Forward all necessary high school and/or college transcripts to the Office of Admissions as soon as possible.
2. Apply for financial aid. Processing for financial aid takes approximately 6-8 weeks—do not wait for acceptance to apply for financial aid.
3. Take the college ACCUPLACER exam.
4. ACCUPLACER test dates are found on the SPC website. Click on the pull down menu in the upper right side of the main page of our website and click on “Testing.” Follow the instructions found there to complete testing.
5. The Vocational Nursing Administrative Assistant will register you for the prerequisite courses listed in the table below. Early registration for the first summer session 2013 begins on April 16, 2013 and ends on May 23, 2013. Registration day at the Reese campus is May 29, 2013.
*****Candidates with a criminal history, please see Items #2 and #3 under "Acceptance is conditional based on the following criteria" below*****
|Prerequisite Courses||Acceptable Alernative||Special Note|
|ENGL1301 - Composition I||None||Must be TSI compliant in Reading and Writing in order to take ENGL1301|
|Math0120 - Mathematics for Vocational Nursing||MATH0311 - fundamentals of Arithmetic for Allied Health
MATH1314 - College Algebra (Must score a 75 or better on Elementary Algebra ACCUPLACER exam or have previously completed this course.)
|Completion of an alternative math course will be accepted with a grade of "C" or better.|
|VNSG 1420 - Anatomy & Physiology for Allied Health||
BIOL2401 - Anatomy & Physiology I
|Prior completion of both BIOL2401 and BIOL2402 will be accepted with a grade of "C" or better and courses must have been completed within the last 5 years|
|VNSG1222 - Vocational Nursing Concepts||None||None|
|Elective courses (if needed in addition to prerequisites for 12 credit hours/financial aid)|
|HUDV1300 - Academic Strategies (Based on Learning Frameworks)
PSYC2301 - General Psychology
HITT1305 - Medical Terminology
PSYC2314 - Lifespan Growth & Development
6. All prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or better. When complete, the candidate must request an application packet from the Vocational Nursing administrative assistant in person. Application packets will not be emailed or sent to candidates via the postal service.
7. Complete the Reese Vocational Nursing Application Packet by July 8, 2013. The application packet must be submitted by the candidate to the Vocational Nursing Program administrative assistant in person.
Selection of Candidates and Status Notification:
Completed applications will be accepted, and “Conditional Acceptance” granted to candidates on a first come, first served basis. Applicants who submit completed applications by the July 8, 2013 deadline will be given a “Conditional Letter of Acceptance” at the time they submit their application to the Vocational Nursing Program administrative assistant. If the class fills before the deadline, the program will continue to accept completed applications and those candidates will be placed on a “Wait List.” The program reserves the right to extend the deadline if the class does not fill.
Acceptance is conditional based on the following criteria:
1. The applicant must pass the required drug screen.
2. The applicant must pass the Criminal Background Check by the Texas Board of Nursing. Instructions for this background check will be given to all conditionally accepted candidates after the program application deadline. All candidates conditionally accepted to the program will be required to undergo an FBI fingerprint background check by the Board of Nursing. If the check reveals undeclared criminal history, the candidate will forfeit the class position. Undeclared criminal history questions the honesty and integrity of the candidate.
3. If the applicant has a criminal history, the applicant must be cleared by the Texas Board of Nursing prior to submitting an application to the program. Criminal history includes juvenile offenses, “sealed” offenses or deferred adjudication. The applicant with a criminal history must submit the “Petition for Declaratory Order” to the Board of Nursing prior to applying for the program because the process can take up to two years, depending on the individual circumstances. ALL criminal history must be reported to the BON. This includes any arrest for any offense, even if the charges were dismissed! Please visit the BON’s website at www.bon.state.tx.us. Click on “Verification & Licensing,“ click on “Download Other Paper Applications and Forms” then scroll down to “Candidates for Licensure” and download the “Petition for Declaratory Order” and follow those instructions. The Vocational Nursing Office cannot give opinions about your criminal history—please read the Declaratory Order Petition instructions and questions. The petition and supporting documentation must be sent to the Board of Nursing in Austin, not submitted to the Vocational Nursing Program.
4. The applicant must attend orientation – 1 full day, date TBA.
5. Applicants who are applying for READMISSION should request readmission information from the Vocational Nursing Program administrative assistant.
Immunization and CPR Requirements
The following immunizations and CPR certification will be required with your application to the program. You will need to locate your records and get updates as needed. You will also be required to have a physical. The physical must be documented on our program form that is a part of the application packet.
- TB skin test (negative) within one year of application submission
- Tetanus booster within 10 years
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (2 series)
- Hepatitis B - A series of 3 injections. You must have received at least the first injection in order to submit your application to the program. A record of your second injection must be submitted within 28-30 days of the first injection, and a record of your third injection must be submitted within 6 months of the second injection.
- Varicella (chickenpox) immunization or a notarized statement from a parent or guardian stating you had the chickenpox as a child.
- Influenza vaccine
Become CPR certified: Obtain CPR certification for Health Care Provider from the American Heart Association (no other types of CPR are accepted.) Sources for obtaining the appropriate CPR certification are the SPC Center for Clinical Excellence – email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 806-716-4720, Health & Safety Solutions – Phone 745-8277, or First Response Resources – Phone 791-2582.
Note: Please read the advisory concerning the state mandated requirement for a meningitis vaccine on our website and take action accordingly.
CLICK HERE for a Reese VN Program Entrance Requirements Checklist