PTA Questions

What is the difference between a PT and a PTA?
A. The PTA is supervised by the PT, but can provide patient care interventions to meet the goals established in the plan of care.

pta border
How do I get into the program?
A. Like all of the other Health Occupations programs you will need to apply to the program. The application and requirements can be found on the PTA Program Webpage under Apply Now.

pta border
What is the HOBET V test and when can I take it?
A. The HOBET V is an online test that tests Reading, English, Math, and basic Sciences. You must take the exam in the SPC Testing Center. The cost is $50.00 and you are allowed to take it twice. You must register at least 3 days in advance. You will need to come in for an advising session with program advisors prior to being allowed to register. Dates for the exam can be found on the Testing center webpage.

pta border
Will I have a degree or certificate when I complete the program?
A. You will have an Associate of Applied Science PTA degree when you graduate. You will then need to sit for the PTA licensure exam. Once you pass the licensure exam you will be able to work as a PTA in the state of Texas.

pta border
Can I work as a PTA in another state?
A. Yes you will need to meet the individual Licensing requirements of the state you want to work in.

pta border
Are there prerequisites for the PTA Program?
A. No our program is an integrated program in which you can complete your general education requirement within the program. But if you have already had some or all of the general education classes and passed they with at least a “C” you will receive credit for those classes and will not need to retake them during PTA school.

pta border
Is there a need for PTAs?
A. Yes physical therapy is a growing profession. As the “baby boomers’ grow older the population seeking the services of the PT profession grows. At this same time PT schools are moving to DPT level of education slowing the graduation of PTs into the field. PTAs provide a valuable service to the profession by providing a skilled and knowledgeable patient care under the supervision and direction of PTs.

pta border
Where Can I work as a PTA?
A. You can work as a PTA in hospitals, out- patient clinics, home health, school systems, Skilled nursing facilities really anywhere PT services are provided.

pta border
Who do I need to ask for a recommendation letter?
A. You should ask individuals you respect and know your values and you know in a professional manner. A Letter from your grandmother would not be considered a professional letter of recommendation.

pta border
I have worked as a rehab tech do I need to do observation hours?
A. I f you have worked as a PT aide/tech long enough to meet or exceed the 20 hour of required observation you do not need to do observation hour. You will need to ask your supervisor to write a letter verifying you are or have been a aide/tech and the length of time you have worked as a tech.


pta border
Why can I not register for the PTA program on line?
A. You must be accepted to the PTA Program. Your faculty advisor will register you for program classes. You can register for the general education class online yourself or your advisor can assist with those classes also.


Press | Facebook | iTuneU | Listen Live to Texan Radio | MySPC | Blackboard | Contact Us